Sunday 10 May 2009

Three new ideas but nothing finished.

After a long lay off seeking inspiration, I seem to have ended up in the middle of writing three tracks at once. I'm not that keen on working this way as the danger is nothing will get finished.

The first, 'Evolution Railroad' is featuring a bluegrass style opening which I've been messing around with months. Then it filters into some hendrix' style chordings. I spent a good few hours trying to get some Hammond on there, loads of problems with MIDI latency in Cubase and it became a real pain. Now it's got ceremoniously stuck and no idea what to do with it. I'll have to come back this track later.

This weekend I've found a lot of time to write, being laid up a bit after my arm operation. After Also Eden's inspiring lesson in 'unusual' time sigs, I promised myself I'd try my hand. I've ended up grafting the choral piece I was working on into a 5/4 time section then into 4/4 bridge. Lots of work still to do on this but the idea is there. It will be entitled 'Who will you serve'.

Yesterday I found a superb Piano modelling VST called Pianoteq which has caused some serious amount of inspiration.

I ended up recording about 4 mins worth of classical piano that quickly morphed into a Matthew Bellamy style neoclassical piece. Lots of fun and even got some vocals down. I'm hoping this will get finished quickly.

One major problem I need to resolve is releasing some CPU power. All my VST's and effects are hogging the PC and there's nothing left to record with. Audio dropouts everywhere. I think I need to run all the VSTS on another machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment