Wednesday 27 May 2009

It's all going too well.....

I'm a born cynicyst and have a bad feeling about saying this but the album is shaping up rather nicely. A most productive recording session last Friday resulted in the completion of 'In the Sea'. If ever there was a track to grasp victory from the jaws of defeat, this was it. The intro classical piano just sounded daft on its own and I was desperately trying to find a way to contemporise it (if thats a word?~) and stop it sounding so dry. The solution was found in messing around with Waves RVerb where I dialled in a supersize cavern effect. Plug in a dry Strat and mess around with some fluttery surf guitar style picking, fading in and out, and it all came together. The overall track is a little 'lightweight' for my tastes but I think it will sit OK with the other material. The vocals were also a lot of fun, and the acquisition of my new 'popper stopper' has done an awful lot to remove those nasty plosives, and allow you to 'get into the mic'.

I'm pretty well through Evolution Railroad too, and have found a route through the song writing process. The song is in three parts. 1st part is a Bluegrass ditty with two steel acoustics panned left and right. 2nd is the Hendrixy, Saxon chord sequence seen on the drumming vid published on Facebook. The 3rd part is a balls out Sabbathesque section., complete with some 'devil like intervals'. Tony Iommi would love it, ....or want royalties. I found a wicked freight train sample that links the sections together and it all sounds great so far.

Vocals and other essentials to come but hopefully not too far away from being in the can.

As a footnote I took the long overdue precaution of backing everything up. The thought of losing everything at this stage is pretty scary.

1 comment:

  1. Great post Rob. I'm incredibly jealous as I'm nowhere near to moving forward with mine! Looking forward to future posts....

    ReplyDelete